Friday, December 15, 2006

Waiting

I have become a girl again, waiting for a boy to call.

I check my cell phone often. Is it on? What are the area codes of those schools again? I log onto their websites, search for their phone numbers. My cell phone buzzes my hip. Is it? Oh, it's a phone number I recognize. A good friend. Just a parent. Oh.

I glare at my office phone, hideously silent. Curse my email. Check the department website. Has their school gone up in flames? Log on to human resources. Yes, they are still "in process." Why haven't they called? Please, please, pick me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I baked a cake.

Earnest English said...

You must've known I was coming. ("If I knew you were coming, I'd have baked a cake." The song that the adulterous couple in Same Time Next Year first made love to.)