Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Ready for the Holidays and Nothing Else

Rather than regale you with my realizations about applications and search committees, let me chime into the chorus of people saying I'm ready for this term to be over. I've got grading this week for all my classes -- and I don't wanna do it! I didn't go in to campus today nor do I plan to tomorrow. Instead I want to spend even more time looking at turkey and stuffing recipes.

After the Great Move of 2009 and all the weirdness not to mention lack of funds, we're not going "home" for the holidays. (I write "home" in inverted commas (as the Brits say) because my folks' place does not feel like home, was never somewhere I lived as a kid or felt comfortable in, and is not in a family configuration that is anything like it was way back when I was a kid.) Instead, we're spending all the holidays here. And what this means is that I've been spending my free minutes away from Absurdist Tot thinking about turkeys! I got on the stick too late to get an organic/sustainable one from a nearby farm, but I did find a hormone-free free-range one at a local meat shop. Today we did the shopping. Now of course I wish tomorrow were Thanksgiving instead of another prep day when I'll make my first-ever pumpkin pie (from organic pumpkin pie mix, I'm afraid -- I'm told the organic pie pumpkin harvest was dismal). If all goes well, maybe I'll post my first-ever turkey pics here. Right now, all I care about is staying in, eating, and sleeping. Like my students and many of my colleagues, I just want it all to be over. I need a vacation like nobody's business. I haven't had one since May 2008.

Note to self: schedule nothing but feast-making and feast-recovery for Thanksgiving weekend. Next time. Now I've got to wrangle Absurdist Tot to bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

can I tell you how jealous I am that you're not doing any traveling during the holidays? I'm traveling this year. Next year is going to be even more hectic with several stops since the SB will be back in town and it will be our first holiday together as a married couple. The only saving grace is that I won't have to go back to school until late January, so that makes up for it.

But still, I'm jealous of your being able to stay put. :)