Sunday, August 24, 2014

Update from the Other Side

I opened this blank post and am confounded.  So much has changed.  And I feel like I can only speak in declarative sentences -- telegrams really -- because I finished my tenure materials today.

Yes.  Done. 

Thank goodness.  I don't ever want to see those binders again.  I know I will -- responding is, of course, part of the process -- but I don't want to.  You know what?  People will promise you letters and then not deliver on time, even a week late.  I didn't realize that.  I thought mostly people did what I did, which is do everything -- or at least way too much (notice that I finished my tenure materials on Sunday afternoon, not late the day they were due, partly because I just had to finally finish the damn thing) at the very last minute.  But when presented with a reminder, I'd haul a** because I don't want to screw anyone else up.  Anyway.  One person is someone who regularly wants something for me and wants me to jump like right now and could I please have this thing done in two days even though I'm swamped with other work?  Such is the BS that a tenure-track person puts up with.  Has to put up with.  Ugh.  Well, I may not be available for that anymore. 

We're in our house, and Absurdist Partner is just a wizard at getting us moved in.  We didn't have internet until yesterday, so that was troubling -- and I kept on thinking of blogposts that right now totally escape me, of course.

But here we are!  Finally!  At the beginning of a thousand home projects to get this place to what we wanted it to be -- somewhere between a farm and a very productive kitchen garden with chickens.  It's lovely here.  I just stare out the window at the pond and feel so at peace.   

Absurdist Child had his last day of camp -- and it was sad because it was the last day of the school he's been at for the last two and a half years.  We're going to miss them -- and they are going to miss him.  He's a very special kid.  They're constantly noting how smart he is.  (And no one could miss him because he talks all.the.time.  He comes by it honestly.  I was like that too -- so much so that my mother played me a song that went "you talk too much.  You worry me to death.")  Now, he and I are going to be together for the next five or so weeks before my quarter begins.  We'll see how that goes.  For the record, AC just addressed his letter to Santa because he wants to make sure that Santa knows what he wants.  (This is because we won't get AC absolutely every Pixar Cars and Planes toy ever made.)  We're also watching Finding Nemo, which I think is far and away the best Pixar film.  It's about parenting.  And Ellen Degeneres as Dory, who I take as my personal guru.  Just keep swimming, I've been telling myself through buying a house, moving in, and tenure madness.  (When I am totally depressed and really need to laugh, I watch Ellen Degeneres' stand-up.  Even knowing all the jokes, I find myself laughing so hard it hurts.  I recommend this to anyone who is sick or down.)  And did you know that there will finally be a sequel?

So expect that there will be posts about homeschooling and homesteading/gardening.  And tenure as my materials move through the process.  Ooh, and I want to write about Wild Kratts! 

Happy Sunday!  Happy first day for many of you, Semesterites. 

I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine and he shall be my Squishy.          

  

3 comments:

What Now? said...

Congrats on getting the tenure stuff in! And boo to people who don't get their letters done on time -- grrr.

Clearly not a summer of rest for you, but you've got two hurdles down -- tenure application done and house moved. So hurrah! Enjoy your pond and the settling into your new home.

undine said...

Congrats on getting those materials in, and good luck!

Sisyphus said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyMPXV5CLNs&index=10&list=PLE5929C082D89F323