Thursday, July 5, 2007

Finis, Finished, Finito

I just pounded out a very short conclusion, sent it to my committee, and now I refuse to deal with (ha! notice I just wrote the dreaded and deadly "deal with" that is verboten in academic discourse -- I'm already deprogramming!) the dissertation for a week. So there! So what if my defense is a mere week after that. How much does one need to prepare? Some opening remarks? Preparing for certain questions? I'm guessing I only need a week. Dear blogfriends, please tell me if I'm underpreparing for that moment.

Of course, my need for a break and tendency to space out and think of OPL (and my need for naps) is not at all supported by the fact that Adventure U just sent me my teaching schedule (8am -- wtf???) and a bunch of orientation materials, stuff about the program, blah-ti-blah. I can't deal with it, I tell you! Just no. I'm taking time off for good behavior. And to prevent myself from getting sick.

OPL and I are taking a road trip from Urban City to Grad City. That should be fun -- and provoke many many pictures! Now I'm going to emerge triumphant from my littlest sister's bedroom that I've held hostage for a while now. No doubt everyone else will be doing their own thing and not understand at all that turning in these diss revisions is the kind of thing you toast. TOAST! After all, I've addressed all the big things my readers wanted me to address. There are still some things I have to cite properly that I didn't have access to Urban Home City and some formatting. But I think I can safely say (knock on wood quick!), the diss is nearly done.

8 comments:

Sisyphus said...

Hooray, hooray, hooray-di-ray!

I toast you with ... uh, is it ok if I just raise my diet coke in your direction? 's all I got.

k8 said...

Congrats!!!

medieval woman said...

that's great! Many congrats on finishing the revisions. I needed a couple of days at most to prep for the defense. Seriously, you know your project backwards and forwards - come up with a blurb or two on the whole and each chapter. Be able to talk a bit about the structure (how each chapt. fits together), and maybe think a bit about where you'd want to take the project in the future (i.e. the book or whatever).

Yay you!

Meagan said...

Congrats! Have fun on your well-deserved break!

Dr. Medusa said...

Congrats! I agree with Medieval Woman regarding prep--a week is more than enough. Regarding opening comments, ask your advisor or friends in the program who have defended. I remember asking if I should prepare an opening statement, but I don't remember what they said or what I did. I do, however, VIVIDLY remember the defense party :).

Maude said...

sigh, i'm jealous and proud of you all at the same time.

gwoertendyke said...

hooray!!!! i'm celebrating for you...let's get together for a toast someday--

aw

Anita said...

Congrats! I just turned in my diss to my advisor, so I know how you feel--although I must say that I'm rather ambivalent about it all. Enjoy your week!