Friday, July 20, 2007

Defended!

So I defended yesterday. I'm a doctah! Dr. English!

So the defense went very smoothly and was actually a pretty good and enjoyable conversation about my work. I didn't have answers for all the different things they brought up -- and there was even some amount of cross-discussion between two members of my committee about decisions and ideas -- which was weird because I didn't have an answer for the different options they were discussing. So there'll be a lot to think about as I go forward to Adventure U and my countless other adventures.

How's this for an absurdist life? So I defend, I'm a doctah and all that, and I come home to find my internet shut off by a company that thinks -- jeez -- that I should like pay for their service. Ridiculous! And money is so tight I can't call them to turn it back on. In fact, I can't even pay for my own dinner and a movie and a nightcap when I went out with Similarly Self-Reflective and Fabulous Friend! OY! Only in my life would higher education's accolades bring such instant poverty. But oh well.

So I only need to finish up some details on my dissertation and then jump through all the paperwork hoops to file it. I worked on some of those details this morning. Now I'm in the library (hence my connectedness to the blogosphere) and need to find a book to quickly reference in my intro. Of course, really, I'm going to spend some time catching up on some blogs, which is at least as important.

I have some editing jobs to do this weekend, thank goodness, which might keep from totally stewing about the fact that OPL is going to arrive back at -- oh I can't even write about it. Suffice it to say, I'm having a hard time. I hope he'll be back with me late next week, but I'm not holding my breath. It's very hard for such a determined pessimist to not overdo -- instead of preparing for the worst, I'm liable to expect and even goad the worst into being. Beat him to the punch. Must.stay.positive. My new mantra. In any case, I should be able to get some things done in the near future. Here are some of the things I think need to be done pretty immediately: some in-preparation-for-packing weeding out of papers, books, clothes, junk; some marathon movie-watching sessions; relaxing baths; relaxing yoga; reading of Review Book; editing jobs; more movie-watching with cross-stitch. In fact, movie-watching with cross-stitch sounds the best right now. I figure I'll watch Sense and Sensibility a few hundred times. There, Elinor's waiting was rewarded by her man on one knee. Sigh. Of course, Emma Thompson, that real rascal, married Greg Wise, who played Willoughby, who must not be such a rascal if someone so smart snapped him up. Also, I think a viewing of Stranger than Fiction is in order. Maybe I can figure out whether my own story is a comedy (ending in a wedding) or a tragedy (we all know where that leads). As they say in Grand Canyon, my fave movie ever: all of life's riddles are answered in the movies.

11 comments:

Meagan said...

Congrats! Such great news.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Dr. English! That is so exciting -- and what an accomplishment. Now your parents can say, "Our daughter, the doctah," and you don't have to be expected to marry one (like all nice Jewish girls used to be expected to do).

Huzzah (whatever that actually means)!

Hilaire said...

Congrats, EE! I'm so pleased for you! Wonderful, wonderful news. I hope everything is okay with OPL, too.

medieval woman said...

Indeed, Dr. EE - congratulations! And S&S with cross-stiching sounds lovely...

Dr. Medusa said...

How did I miss this? Congratulations, Doctor!

Maude said...

yeah, but you totally left out the part when one of your committee members told Peppy Advisor that PA should nominate the diss for a dissertation award with a major organization!!

cheeky monkey! it's not like you to be so modest!!

k8 said...

Congrats!!!!!

Sisyphus said...

Congratulations Doctor Doctor!!!!!! Hoo-rah! Let the trumpets sound!

Too bad about the whole no money thing but, uh, something will magically work out. If Magic Dissertation Elves can solve our dissertation problems, I'm sure there must be some sort of money-related magic that will work too!

Hmm, what about those leprechaun things...

Anita said...

Congrats!

gwoertendyke said...

god i'm sorry i'm late to the bandwagon....walk around calling yourself doctor for a few days!

really, congratulations, it is a big deal.

Marcia Feitel said...

Congratulations! At last I know another person who didn't get an engineering degree!