Monday, April 23, 2007

Your Oh-So-Cheery Report from Diss Tower

Similarly Hate Filled Dissertator and I are sitting here in our chairs, high up in the library, doing our work. She's reading and looking scholarly. I'm reading Peppy Advisor's comments and making notes, trying to take back the process by writing my own comments.

But when SHFD left the room, I curled up in the fetal position and told myself that PA's comments were making it a better book. Yes, I know they are. I even know how to address some of them. PA doesn't hate it or anything, though there are major problems. But re-entering some parts of this thing seems impossible. Makes me want to curl up in the fetal position. Makes the pattern of our white and grey carpet seem fascinating.

I think that this is because I had no time to really celebrate the fact that I finished the first draft. No week to spend lolling in bed. No time to spend drooling at the TV. (I did watch The Bourne Identity last night, staying up until 3. It was delicious.) Here we are at work again, like good little soldiers who are trying our damndest to graduate in August, dealing with our committees' pesky vacation schedules. (Yes, I think they should be able to go on vacation. Yes, I believe in the 9- or 10-month system. Yes, they're being wonderful to work with me like this. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know.)

Anyway, dear reader: do not try to graduate in August. It's just bad. Graduate in May like a normal person. Give yourself time to celebrate the drafts. Do as I say, not as I do. This sucks.

No comments: