Thursday, May 31, 2007

Success!

So I woke up way too early to be well-rested, but managed to get started working on the article for SS anyway. I wrote/revised 2,170 words. The section I was working on is something that I've written a lot about so I had lots of versions of this idea in a number of different files, so I had a lot of material to choose from, so it's not quite as amazing as it sounds. At least, the article is still a complete mess with lots of placeholders. But I've handed it off. Not much to show for working on it for two weeks, but at least there was a significant revision to a big section. OY!

Again, this morning I forgot how to get started, but I only wasted about an hour. Which is pretty good. But here's the secret: I need to write. Like in a journal. And then gets me warmed up. I can't start cold on the open document. Too scary.

Now I feel so good about having gotten up in the morning to write that I want to take the rest of the day off! At least give myself some kind of treat. (Can you say vegan chocolate muffin? Or perhaps a soy latte?) Of course, I have tons of errands to run today. But right now, I can't quite remember what they are. Oh yes -- I need to go to the post office and mail a couple things off and before that I have to arrange them, get information, take a shower, get dressed blah, blah, blah.

Today I feel like a scholar, an academic, a person who can wake up in the morning and get some writing done because it needs to be done rather than because there's someone with a gun to my head. (Shame is a great motivator.)

Of course, now there are few excuses for not getting back to the dissertation. I need to read all those comments and respond to them. This is my process for taking the dissertation back. After everyone writes so much all over it, I kind of feel full of holes. So I write in pen in response to their comments. It gives me the illusion of control. Yes, it's a neurosis. But it works. That's all that matters, right? I'm going to need to write them up for Peppy Advisor anyway, because already I saw that some of them disputed changes she had asked for.

So now I have to go shower. Do I have to? How about a little breakie, see what else is going on in the blogoverse. I'm so bad.

No comments: